If I Ran the Zoo Activities
Find a bunch of fun activities and lessons to go with the great Dr. Seuss classic "If I Ran the Zoo
". Below you will find vocabulary cards, puzzles and more ideas.
Your creativity can help other teachers!
Submit your If I Ran the Zoo Activities.
Don't forget to include your worksheets or a photo.
This indicates resources located on The Teacher's Corner.
- If I Ran the Zoo
Story Writing Grades Various
Ask students to write their own story entitled: "If I Ran the __________." You may want to invite students to plan and write their story with a classmate.
- Story Vocabulary Grades Various
Below are rhyming vocabulary words from If I Ran the Zoo. Download, print and use them in a variety of ways (or you can download just the list of all the If I Ran the Zoo vocab words).
Here are a few ideas:
- Give students a collection of the words and have them write their own story or poem.
- Match the rhyming words
- Sort/match synonyms and antonyms
- Sort by nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc.
- Sort by long vowel sounds
- Sort by short vowel sounds
- Sort by the base word – what has been added to them or what can be added to them (-ing,- ed, etc.)
- Sort by tenses
- Sort the nonsense words
- Vocabulary Puzzles Grades Various
We have created a vocabulary word list to use in our puzzle maker. You can very quickly make a If I Ran the Zoo Word Search or If I Ran the Zoo Word Scramble. Make a puzzle in seconds by simply sliding down and clicking the generate button, or make these more fun by adding your own words (i.e. student or teacher names). You can be as creative as you like.
Return to the Read Across America index for more great Dr. Seuss activities.
EMAIL us your favorite Read Across America Day Activity!